Blog Post #2

For our mentor matching project, I am quite happy with the technologies that we have chosen to use for development. On the frontend, we are using React, and on the backend we are using Express. These are very popular frameworks and widely used in industry. One technology I would change if I was starting over would be a different database service. For our project, we have chosen to use Google Cloud Datastore because it has quick setup options and a straightforward connection with deploying and hosting our site. This is great, however, at some points in development, I have wished that we would have chosen a relational database model instead of the document-based model that is Datastore. Our entities of users and roles and predefined answers to questions nicely fit into properties and all of our entries have the same properties. This overcomes the biggest downside of relational databases. I think that I would have chosen MySQL for the database model because of its prevalence in industry. I enjoyed working with MySQL in previous classes and would have liked to develop more experience to prepare me for work in those areas. Overall though Datastore is fast for development and has good documentation, making it good for working with as well.