Job Training and It’s Impact

When you first start a job, the very first thing you do after you fill out your paperwork or attend orientation is job training. Training will either make you love the job or make you seriously think about the choice you made to work the job. In this post, I will be reflecting on job training and classes that I have done and provide how they were beneficial to me as well as how ineffective one was to me.

Starting on a positive note, I found my most recent job training was perhaps the most interactive training I have done since the job was in the restaurant industry. My first day consisted of going through memorizing table numbers, pushing tables together for large parties, and walking guests to their designated tables. With that also came the protocol of changing tables should the guest, not like their first assigned table. My second day was mastering that process and then learning how to answer the phones and help guests with any questions they had about the restaurant. My final day was to put everything together and if I was able to do so, which I was, earn certification. When I first got the job, I honestly didn’t know how my training was going to be, but the job had a very solid training program which helped me become a very good employee.

Moving onto the training that wasn’t beneficial, this actually comes from a course I took here; financial accounting. I took this course during my sophomore year, which was also the year when everything was done over Zoom so I will cut the professor some slack there, but I could not grasp the concepts being taught as it was very difficult to stay engaged in an online classroom. I would attend office hours and do test corrections to see if it would help my case but even then I struggled. I somehow managed to get a hang of the class near the end which ended up saving my grade but instead of being taught, I had to teach myself which is something I wish didn’t need to be done.

Regardless of my stories, job training, in my opinion, is extremely important because it will set you up either for success or failure. My advice would be to thoroughly pay attention in your next training because everyone deserves to succeed!