Stress and Mental Health

Week 9 Blog

After recently taking the life stress inventory, stress skills test and the personality survey I really learned some things about myself that I didn’t notice. For the life stress inventory quiz I scored a 115, which is in the >150 category meaning that there is a low amount of change in my life. I agree with the outcome of this survey because I feel like I am at a younger age group where I haven’t been exposed to a lot of the categories yet such as divorces, work stress and death in family. I think this also plays a big role in my personality tests that I took after because I have a relatively mellow personality due to not a lot of highs and lows in my emotions. For the coping and stress management skills test I scored a 54 rating which means I use problem focused strategies to cope. For me personally, I use exercise a lot to cope with my stress, I really feel at peace when I am working out or doing something active. This is a technique that I use regularly to help me deal with what’s going on in my life. As for the personality test, I disagree with the score that I received. I received a 38 which means I may lash out on others if I am irritated or stressed. I think that I am a very forgiving person with a bug fuse even in situations where I am stressed. A lot of my personality and stress management comes from dealing with a major health issue my whole life, it has shaped my life in many ways causing me to be more lenient and understanding in situations.

Switching gears to the construction industry and the stress that people deal with, there is generally a lot of stress and fatigue in the industry due to the hands on work and tight schedules and budgets. One of the major ways contractors can help mitigate this stress is first giving realistic expectations on how long a job will take (LHSFNA’s.org). This will cause less overall stress by decreasing the required overtime amount on the job. Contractors should also discuss stress and overall mental health in toolbox talks, lunch meetings or dedicated meetings to how they can cope and deal with this stress.

References:

https://www.lhsfna.org/addressing-the-root-of-the-stress-problem-in-construction/