Capstone Course Review

Hello everyone! As I approach the final stretch of my Computer Science program, the Online Capstone Project course stands as a pivotal experience. This course isn’t just another class; it’s where we get to apply everything we’ve learned so far. I’m here to share a SWOT analysis of the course, looking at what works, what doesn’t, and where we can improve.

The biggest advantage of this course is that it lets the students choose what project they want to work on. This freedom makes us more personally invested in the work we are doing. Being able to make our own choices is not only motivating, but it also allows us to think about what type of work we want to do post graduation. Additionally, working with others in the course is really helpful. I believe that It has improved my ability to work with others, which will be important for my career.

However, the course isn’t without its flaws. A significant weakness is the limited interaction with the other groups. While we engage in discussions, there’s a lack of insight into what other teams are working on. I think this is a missed opportunity in which we can use to learn from each other’s experiences and challenges. Furthermore, the fact that only TAs receive updates on our projects limits the potential for broader feedback and collective learning.

To enhance the course, I propose more integrative discussion formats. For instance, having each group share updates and progress with the class would foster a more collaborative and inclusive learning environment. Implementing a mandatory feedback mechanism where each student is required to provide constructive criticism to other groups could also spur deeper engagement and mutual learning.

While these opportunities are promising, they come with inherent threats. Establishing standards for communication is crucial to ensure feedback is constructive and respectful. Additionally, it’s vital to strike a balance between receiving external input and maintaining the group’s original vision and autonomy. Too much external influence could derail a project’s trajectory, so careful moderation is necessary.

Overall, the Online Capstone Project course is a small version of what it’s like to work in the real world. It combines freedom, teamwork, and challenges. By improving its weak points and using its strong points better, we can make this course even more valuable. This course isn’t just for learning; it’s a key part of becoming skilled computer scientists. Making it better in terms of how it’s organized and what it teaches could really help future students, just like it has greatly helped me in my learning.