How Goal Setting Motivates me in viewing Rejections for my Job Application

Kezia Tanoeyadi – Friday, 13th Jan 2023

I do believe that facing rejection over rejection is not an easy thing to be faced. Our minds and mental quality are shaped to be stronger. Especially for a person like me who is a perfectionist and wants everything goes in my way. As an example of myself, I had a rejection from my job application from the company that I have been wanting for a long time. Practicing goal-setting makes me realize that I need to focus on my future goals instead of the rejection that ruined my motivation as well as to help me be fully committed to getting a job after graduation. It may be caused by several factors that may not come from me like some companies want to recruit US citizens, not international students who only can work for a few years ahead. The thing that led me to behave that way was there is a goal that I need to achieve and always remember that I need to focus on the things that I can control (like my achievement, academic standing, and getting as many experiences as possible) as well as let go the things that are not my control as long as I already give my best. As Latham and Locke explained that “a specific high goal leads to even higher performance than urging people to do their best”. Additionally, I have a principle that I always instilled in myself is, it is better to fight and give the best effort rather than never want to try. The chance or opportunity is way smaller or even none if we never try. Also, having this experience makes me realize that rejection is an attempt for preparing me and that not trying is the true failure.

“When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps” – Confucius

https://beav.es/5Di

References:

• https://www.betterup.com/blog/goal-setting-theory

One response to “How Goal Setting Motivates me in viewing Rejections for my Job Application”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.