Midterm Thoughts

It’s been a while, so I figured I should give an update on how this class has been going for me. I was assigned to the Malware Analysis project like I wanted, and got put with some pretty cool teammates. The project requirements ended up being much more flexible than I initially believed it to be, with our group essentially being able to dictate the difficulty/extensiveness of the project as long as it meets the baseline requirements of analyzing malware on a virtual network of machines. That’s probably for the best, as more strict guidelines would have probably turned this into essentially a 2 week long lab.

I’m not sure how I expected the course to be, but it’s a lot more like my cybersecurity classes than I thought it’d be. A lot of writing and discussion, with there being a big writing assignment due each week. It’s very similar to the weekly write ups I’ve had to do in the defense class this term and network security I took in the spring.

Other than that, the course has been pretty chill so far. Maybe it’s due to the nature of our project, but there hasn’t been too much I’ve had to actually worry about regarding this class. Our group meets up weekly on Discord to discuss the most recent assignment, but we’re pretty relaxed about anything else as long as we’re productive. I think being able to mesh well with your group is what can solidify your ability to do group work, because doing that kind of work becomes a lot harder if everyone is constantly stressed out due to strict expectations. Hopefully the rest of the term feels the same way.