IPIP Results & Reactions

On each of the five dimensions of personality, the test results say that my score on neuroticism is high, my score on Extroversion, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness is average, and my score on Openness to Experience is low. The results are telling me that I am easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. It also states that people consider me to be sensitive and emotional. I don’t necessarily agree with this, I am sensitive and emotional but throughout all the times I have taken a personality test, I never once scored high on Neuroticism, so it was very shocking. Scoring low on Openness to Experience has always been expected and I am not surprised because it is true. The result states that I like to think in plain and simple terms. It says that others describe me as down-to-earth, practical, and conservative. This is true, I tend to stick to what I already know and am not that open to new things. I am surprised that I only scored an average on Extroversion, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness because I would score high on all three. For Extraversion, it says I enjoy time with others but also time alone. For Agreeableness, it says I indicate some concern with others’ needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice myself for others. Then for Conscientiousness, it says I am reasonably reliable, organized, and self-controlled. Overall, this personality test gave me results that do not sound like me and I am shocked that my results ended up this way.

Looking at my strengths, I think a potential employer looking at these results would say that as a potential employee, I am organized and reliable. I would say this is true, I mentioned these strengths during interviews. This will tell employers that I will be available to pick up any shifts or contribute help to other employees throughout the workplace. It will also let them know that no matter what work I do or the responsibilities I have, I will stay organized and ensure everything is easy to find and make the workplace look attractive to customers or important guests. With my high score being in neuroticism, I would hope that employers see my strengths to be empathetic, some say it’s a weakness but I say it can definitely be a strength. I can understand my co-workers and my customers better when they can feel that I am available for them to be honest and share their emotions with me. I find that because I am emotional and sensitive, it gives me the strength to connect with others and be trusted. Some weaknesses that a potential employer may say after looking at these results would be that I am too conservative. Seeing as my score for Openness to Experience is low, they’ll assume I won’t be able to go outside of my comfort zone and that may be important to some employers, that I can open up to other aspects of my work. Another weakness they may see is again going back to Neuroticism being highly scored on my results. Employers may see that I can get upset easily and that may not sit well with them. They would need a potential employee to control their emotions and leave anything personal that may conflict with work outside of the work environment.