Spring Term

Data Bot Implementation

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been playing around with the Databot. I have a couple of takeaways from my experimentation that are relevant to this project.

Data Sonification

Generally, we are doing data sonification through the following process

1. Creating data points by using a databot sensor and the Vizeey app to track a specific real world type of data over a period of time.
  2. Exporting this data from the Vizeey app to Excel, where each data type is a new column.
  3. Transfer the data table from Excel into Desmos.
  4. Connect the data points in Desmos.
  5. Use the “Hear Graph” function in Desmos to achieve data sonification.

I originally wanted to have some sort of real time sound data, but this proved to be more difficult than anticipated. This is challenging because we want to prioritize ease of use and accessibility. I am not entirely sure that real time data is even possible using Databot and Vizeey, and if it is possible, it would be more technically challenging compared than we are willing to make it. In an effort to start simple, I am opting to use a data set collected through Vizeey. The data set will collect data points from different sensors over an increment of time. The sensor data and time will make up our y and x values, respectively. We can track multiple sensor items simultaneously, temperature and CO2, for example. On Vizeey, we are allowed to export data using these specific formats.

I chose to use Excel as my tool to export the data because I think it is the most accessible form to share the data. Since I am not going to be the person teaching the lesson in most situations, I want to make the technology part of the lesson as simple as possible.