Post #6

Super busy week and a couple more coming up. My wife’s medical school graduation is this week and her, as well as my, parents flew in to attend. Then our wedding is next weekend so more family is coming in and crunch time is starting with all the little details you never think about until the end. And I’m flying across the country this weekend to attend a friend’s wedding. Doesn’t leave a lot of time to work, but I’m trying my best to make the most of any free time I have.

The midpoint assignments went pretty smoothly. I managed to integrate the network connections between the server and clients just in time so that our video recordings show moves being updated from one client to the other through the server. Getting the server to be hosted presents another set of challenges though. Because it’s all been local, I haven’t been able to test client disconnect and reconnect. I got the server to run on the school’s flip server and then I run clients on my own machine. But I’m just not 100% confident it over the internet. I’ll have to get one of my team members to also launch a client and see if it works. The professor also said he has asked the department to set something up for us to host the server. Then we just have to set up some more UI to give some more game information and fix a few bugs that happened with regards to special moves. Lastly is the AI, which should be interesting to read about a computer algorithm to play chess.

I also had a job interview this week where I was actually asked to code in front of the interviewer. Luckily, the two questions weren’t too difficult and I’ve encountered them before on Leetcode. I got the first one, but I wasn’t able to figure out some edge cases for the second. But the interviewer said I go the important part correct, and was confident under less stressful circumstances and with a bit more time I’d be able to do it. The position is consulting, though, so it’s dependent on the client on whether it’s fully remote or not. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to accept an offer if they do give one.