Hello world!

Hi there! My name is Josh. I live in Florida, just outside of the Tampa area. I’ve lived in a few different places, including about 3 years in Louisville KY, and 6 years in and around Portland OR. My original degree was in Finance, and I worked in consulting for about ten years before deciding to go back to school for computer science. This is my last term in the post-bacc program! While I have enjoyed the journey, I very much look forward to being done!

A little more about me…

What got you started with computers or software?

I took a programming course in high school as part of a virtual school program. If I remember correctly, I think it was in basic. During degree 1.0, I did a summer engineering program that required programming a robotic arm, and I think that was called qbasic. I also took a course in VBA during my original degree. I dabbled in using VBA for Excel, but programming (the way most people in this program would define it) was never been a large part of my job before this program.

Current job or internship?

I work as an Actuary at an insurance company. I started with this company four months ago, and it has been a big change for me. The work I did before was completely different, and in a different area of practice. I would describe my current responsibilities as data-focused. I work with a team of analysts in the Accounting department, working mostly with the data for premiums and claims.

Your future career

When I originally started this program in 2021, my goal was to switch to an insurance company. There was a period of time where I thought I was typecast, such that it seemed my options were to be a ‘pension’ actuary, or switch to something else completely. I landed an internship in a tech consulting group, and thought for sure I was going in the direction of data engineering. The company issued a hiring freeze at the end of the internship, and did not give return offers to the interns in my group. Within a month of my internship ending, I was interviewing for my current position. Of the skills I have developed, working with SQL, Snowflake, and Power BI, the skills I picked up during my internship, were instrumental in landing the position. The company is currently implementing a data warehouse, and part of my responsibilities are to review the premium and claims data as part of that integration.

Favorite technologies

I thoroughly enjoy Python and SQL. I look forward to digging into Azure Synapse, and seeing what I’ll be able to do with it. I have also had a lot of fun using LLMs, and I am excited to see them evolve over the next few years.

Kids, pets, hobbies, sports, games, activities, etc.

I have two sons; one is almost four, and the other is almost one. I also have two dogs, a terrier mix and a Weimaraner. The Weim is not a dog…or maybe, she’s like the velociraptor of dogs. Right now, I am working full-time, commuting about 400 miles a week, have a wife, two kids, and I am enrolled in capstone and cloud so that I can finish this term. Who needs hobbies? Ok…I was playing Starfield, but that’s going to have to sit until Fall is over.

One response to “Hello world!”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.