Job Interviews

The job interview is one of the most critical pieces of the hiring process. After all, this is an employer’s first glance into who an applicant is as a real person – not just the paper that comes across their desk. Likewise, job interview provides an opportunity for applicants to get a better sense of the company and the employer they would be working for. So often, we consider the job interview to be the hoop a potential employee must jump through to appear appealing and hirable to an employer. However, I think it’s important to consider the process equally important a hoop for the employer to jump through to demonstrate to the applicant that their company could actually be a good fit for them. Job interviews are an avenue for mutual understanding of expectations and determination of fit for both employer and applicant alike.

In my own experiences with job interviews, one thing that I think was effective is when interviewers ask scenario-based questions to gauge how the applicant would respond to a particular situation. In an interview setting, I feel that this assesses quick-response, critical thinking, and situational awareness skills. This traditional, tried-and-true method of interviewing is, in my opinion, fairly effective. However, aside from this, I don’t have much experience with job interviews. After engaging with the learning materials from this week, however, I have been amazed at some of the innovative ways employers are now conducting job interviews. “The Perfect Hire” discusses some of these new methods, including the incorporation of video game software which analyzes decisions applicants make in different scenarios to determine fit. Additionally, employers are gathering a lot of data from social networking sites to get a better impression of applicants’ personalities (Chamorro-Premuzic & Steinmetz, 2013).

As technology continues to evolve, so too do the hiring practices and methods of employers. I’m quite curious to see what future developments will be made in the adaptation of technology to hiring practices.

Reference:

Chamorro-Premuzic, T., & Steinmetz, C. (2013). The perfect hire. Scientific American Mind, 24(3), 42–47. https://doi.org/10.1038/scientificamericanmind0713-42

1 comment

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.