Creating Job Descriptions

Throughout my work experience, there has always been a common theme in my coworkers. I would hear “that’s not my job” constantly when uncommon tasks were needed to be completed in the workplace. My previous jobs have all been in the service industry, so cleaning unwanted spills became a regular occurence. However, these unwanted spills always brought up the question. Whose actually supposed to clean them? Everytime, without fail, someone would exclaim “that’s not my job” before hashing out which one of us would clean the mess. Rather than one person being designated to clean up, our group would take turns, saying “I cleaned the bathroom yesterday,” or “remember when I had to clean the coffee maker?” Without a written job description of who is to complete these tasks, our coworkers figured it out. However, this also allowed for a lot of things to go unnoticed such as dust collecting on top of cabinets and molding food in the employee fridge. Nonetheless, assigning these tasks to be completed by implementing a task list was an effective way our workplace kept clean. There was bi-weekly tasks that would be assigned to be completed by an employee throughout the week in order to keep everything clean and tidy. This also allowed to keep the employees accountable for their actions.