Marcus Aurelius Meditations

“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”

Marcus Arelius, Meditations

Seeing as this time of year is one of resolution and resolve, I started reading Marcus Arelius’s Meditations. What I would like to do next is share some quotes and my thoughts, and connect this back to the professional world.

In the book of Meditations, Marcus Arelius writes these stoic philosophies influenced strongly on a unique foundation of upbringing, that shaped his life, his ruling characteristics, and his legacy. Arelius was tutored as a child, had many mentors of professions and nobility, but rarely interacted with his own peers. He did not attend public school and was subsequently left to toil with his own bookish thoughts as he was groomed an heir to the throne. Later, he rose to become one of the most prominent Roman Emperors for his lasting work as a philosopher and his impressive ruling of peace through constant war.

Central to this story of a philosopher emperor and his success was the embodiment of the stoic philosophy, to be committed to self-improvement, virtue, and the pursuit of wisdom. When I read this quote I provided above, “Our life is what our thoughts make it”, the simplicity reaches me first, then the depth of stoicism and self-reflection. Aligning this to the professional world, one might say our work, our success, our relationships all are of what our thoughts make it. It’s simple, it’s stupid, but for myself I think this is a good lesson to start the new year.