4th Post. The last push!

This is the last required blog post of this course. I have enjoyed doing these as well as doing the project but it is still nice to be wrapping up as it means we are almost done with this part of the journey. Its been a long 2 years + 1 quarter to get here. Let me start with a quick capstone update before I do a bit of reflection.

I have learned a lot doing this capstone project. It started with a refresher in a lot of the technologies and languages since its been a year since I’ve used some of them. Then after getting back up to speed it was learning how to set up a project and divide some of the work. Fortunately I had a great group with some experience in this which brings me to the learning lesson of how important it is to have a good network of people. At the start of this course that was one of the lower priority boxes on my list when I ranked what I want out of this course/project but I can say the most valuable thing I will walk away with is the experience of working in a team and truly appreciating the value of my team members and the expansion of my network. The power of a good network of people with a wide range of knowledge is a great starting point for every project. I also have been willing to try some things that I would have been hesitant to in the past knowing I have good team members who can help me get past any blockers and who are willing to help which has helped me grow in ways that maybe not trying to expand on some requirements in the past hasn’t.

On to a bit of reflection now. I started this program in the summer of 2020 when there was so much uncertainty about my future happening at the time. The company I was working for was doing massive layoffs and working from home seemed to have no end in sight (for better or worse). Fast forward to now and things have turned around, the company I work for is hiring which is good for me because I’d like to stay but move into a new role. I started this degree program without knowing if I would like coding or learning about computers and software at all. Now that there are only a few weeks left I am thankful for the entire journey. I learned that this field is a field of constant learning. To be successful it requires the ability to learn on the job and the willingness to learn new things everyday. I have learned parts of the industry I don’t want to work in via an elective and have also grown interested in other areas which I am excited to hopefully pursuit a career. It hasn’t always been easy and at times wasn’t the most enjoyable but I am thankful for the past 2 years. As I wrap up this term it is time to start networking at my company and applying to new roles and I am very excited for the future career I will have. I am glad to be taking the tools I learned throughout this degree and in particular a lot of the lessons I learned throughout this capstone with me. Now just to find the motivation to make it through this last push and then take the next step.