1st Post. How I Got Here

If you would have asked me 10 years ago when I was a senior at the United States Merchant Marine Academy getting ready to graduate and work as a marine engineer on ships if I would think 10 years from now I would almost be done getting a computer science degree I would have thought you were crazy. I wasn’t particularly interested in computers and had no real experience with coding. Fast forward to 2020 and I am a design engineer at Boeing and sign up to take a python programming for engineers course to see what it is all about and I was intrigued. I enjoyed the problem solving aspects of the work and how the problems present almost felt like a puzzle waiting to be solved. I then applied for and started in this program.

I am still a design engineer at Boeing working in 737 payloads in Seattle. I am hoping to stay with Boeing upon graduation and move to a software engineering but Seattle has plenty of opportunities out there and I am excited to see what the world of software engineering looks like, but I have to make it though capstone first…. so here we are.

I looked through the projects and I want to learn how to do so many of these things but also want to be careful to not bite off more than I can chew. I would love to learn how to create VR/AR games but I have no experience and that would be too ambitious. I really like the crowd-sourced travel planner because traveling is a passion of mine, and I like the create a website and attack it (though I have no experience with that either but want to learn). My first capstone a decade ago was in a group of 10 with multiple advisors and was much more specific so I really am excited by some of the freedom that comes with this project. I look forward to posting here in the future and trying to keep things light while also sharing how the project is going. Cheers