Task management software

This is my first blog post ever, so please excuse the amateur vibe you get…I’m still getting use to writing a blog and figuring out the WordPress editor.

What software to use?

For years I have searched for a good task management software that helps me to focus and be productive. I’ve purchased numerous planners to help with making lists, which my wife and daughters will never complain about because they love my leftovers to make lists of their own. I’ve tried a few software packages like OneNote and even Microsoft’s list function in Outlook and always find that within weeks of the initial effort to get them setup I just can’t keep interest. Through all of this trial and error, what worked for me?

KANBAN! It took awhile to get used to the kanban system, but once I found a software package and was able to set it up in a way that I can have easy access from work, home and on the go it is like nothing I have ever used before. OK, well then what software worked for me…because there are many out there. Trello seems to be the most popular and since I am obsessed with self-hosting everything myself the final solution was a package called Wekan (referred to by most as an open-source Trello clone).

Image taken from https://wekan.github.io/

How to install it?

When first playing around with Wekan I was impressed by the many ways it can be installed and managed. The number of ways they support installation on a variety of systems was impressive, but also a little overwhelming. They also offer step by step instructions for each of the different options to allow for a relatively painless experience.

Screengrab taken from https://wekan.github.io/

Personally I have a commercial grade HP server in my homelab which runs VMWare ESXi. I already have a virtual machine dedicated to running my docker containers, so adding the docker compose script (which they provide on their github page) took just a few minutes and it was up and running smoothly.

Screengrab of the docker install section from Wekan’s github page https://github.com/wekan/wekan/wiki/Docker

How do I use it?

Now that I have used it for the last few years I’m using it to keep track of coursework, work tasks, server maintenance reminders, shopping lists, date night movie ideas, routine house maintenance (think HVAC filter cleans, etc), and even Christmas present ideas for my kids…because where else am I going to write stuff down that pops into my head for Christmas presents in June. I was even able to get my wife to share some lists with me so we can collaborate on the items.

Wekan allows for a collection of different kanban boards so you can separate each project into it’s own section. You can change colors, order, task counters, owners and so much more.

An example of my Wekan boards

OK, so why does Wekan work so well for me? I find that the ability to visually see tasks along with start and due dates and then easily drag and drop between columns to be extremely easy and efficient. As you can see below it allowed me to layout all of the CS467 for the entire term and now I can make sure that I’m staying on task and won’t miss any deadlines (although this class is one of the first where many assignments are open on day 1, but that’s ok).

My CS467 kanban layout

Conclusion

Well thats it…my first blog post and my experience with finding and setting up a task management system that worked for me. If you are struggling to find a good task management system that works for you I hope this write up helped you. If not thats ok too.

Thanks for reading my first blog post!