The Do’s and Dont’s When Interviewing

One summer in my late 20s, I wanted to change industries, so I applied for a Bank Teller position with Chase Bank Inc. I completed the application online as requested, and once accepted there was a follow-up with the company in person. I was called in for an interview, which was exciting until I had to take a test. This wasn’t just any old test, it was a Personality Test. Employers use this personality test during the selection stage of the hiring procedure and are used to screen out new applicants. I now know that employers utilized this test to test people’s validity, integrity, utility, and reliability. This test made the interview “I feel” ineffective and uncomfortable because they didn’t know me personally. I failed the test and they wouldn’t tell me why, but I knew it was because of the results. I felt as though a machine couldn’t tell you about me, getting to know me tells you about me. How did I know that they weren’t being discriminatory against me, I’m not saying they were, but there’s no way to prove it right? To improve the interview, I would have told them there’s no proof that any amount of software can measure my potential or my integrity let alone my work ethic. They didn’t ask me about my background, or the inspirations that drove me to be the hard worker that I am. No, they just relied on a computer to express my deepest concerns and thoughts or actions. Close your eyes and listen to the interviewer and get a sense of what it’s like to work with this individual. I can’t tell or suggest effective ways of hiring to corporations that feel as though this type of sifting process is the future of the hiring process. I just feel unheard, I also filled out suggestion forms for companies that I’ve previously been employed with in the past. Did they take my suggestions seriously? or did they implement new procedures on my behalf? We will never know.