Training Reflections

Over the course of my life, I have had multiple jobs with various roles. In each role, the training process has differed, whether it be in longevity or technicalities. Comparing the different trainings I’ve been through, there are some that stand out as more beneficial, in terms of how it prepared me for the job. Firstly, the best training I went through for a job was extensive, as there was a designated training period set by the manager. The manager also let me know that I had to get through the training period before I could receive compensation, providing a further incentive to get through the training. On top of that, a supervisor worked with me during my training, which gave me better insight on my role and expectations. The supervisor also took a lot of time explaining things in an understandable manner, and provided themself as a resource for any potential questions or problems that occurred. Lastly, another thing that I found effective in the training was the supervisor being close at all times, which helped me ease into the role. I have found that I personally prefer interpersonal and problem solving training, as I feel more prepared for the role compared to other forms of training. As for trainings that have felt ineffective to me, the biggest standout is the trainings where they manager throws me into the role, without much guidance. While this approach is beneficial for some, it left me feeling very unprepared and more stressed, which lead me to make more mistakes. Also, trainings that have felt very ineffective were the ones where the manager didn’t personally train me, rather another employee did. I find that this approach can leave a lot of gaps in training, and employees have very different knowledge on specific roles.

Sources Cited:

Lecture Outline- Training and Development