Self Reflection

Self Reflection:

• What am I good at? 
    • I am trained and board certified in large animal surgery. I am good at performing many different surgeries, and management of cases in the post-operative period. I am good at remaining calm in stressful situations, being efficient and multi-tasking, and training students and new interns/residents in how to appropriately manage/treat cases at their level of experience. 
  • What do I value?
    • I value good working relationships with my peers and co-workers. I value a cohesive and supportive working environment where all are working for the greater good of the patient, as well as workplace satisfaction for all employees. I value the opportunity to enhance my skills and grow in my career whereby I can help both the animals I work on as well as the humans I work with. 
  • How did I get here?
    • 4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of vet school, 1 year internship, 1 year fellowship, 3 years surgery residency and several years of experience working on both emergency and elective cases. I began pursuing my MBA this past fall. 
  • Where am I going?
    • Continuing on my current trajectory I shall continue to work in both large and small animal as a surgeon. I shall gain experience in leadership/management goals during the next two years and eventually transition to more of an administrative/consultant position, but will likely maintain some surgical time each week to continue to remain in the field.   

5 responses to “Self Reflection”

1. Hi Kirsty, one of the best skills a person can have is remaining calm in a stressful environment. Being level headed when things are going wrong can help you find the right solution to the problem. Relationships can make or break a business, recognizing what good relationships do for you and colleagues is something that should be prioritized.

2. Hey Kirsty!

Overall, great blog! It seems as if you have been hard at work! I love all of your answers for each of the four questions. My favorite part is how you listed out how you got to where you are now. Starting your MBA is an accomplishment in itslef and you are getting closer to obtaining your Masters day by day. Being an animal surgeon will be a great job and I am excited for your future!

3. Kirsty,

First off, I will say I admire how much you organized this post structure and its contents by making them very clear to the reader. Your “how did I get here” section is quite the resume builder and is definitely something that employers will be eager to see or hear you explain more about throughout your work life. Saying, “4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of vet school, 1-year internship, 1-year fellowship, 3 years surgery residency, and several years of experience working on both emergency and elective cases. I began pursuing my MBA this past fall.” seems a bit clustered and unorganzied just as I read it, but if all of those perquisites are crucial and necessary to your field and that status needed to get a job then you should absolutely keep all of them. I am curious to see how effective an MBA is in this particular field. Overall, nice work.

4. Hi Kirsty,
    Being able to stay calm under pressure is a very good trait to have. Not only can it be in surgerys but in critical situations. It is great to see people pursing their MBA as this has been something I have considered all throughout my college career. As well, being a good team players and being able to work together is key to having a successful career. Thank you for sharing.

5. Hi Kristy,
    Thank you for sharing! the ability to be efficient and multitask is sometimes underrated. To effectively multitask is not an easy task. Most people seem not to realize how much work you actually do in your daily activities. Valuing people and relationships is very important. It is often said, and I believe, it is who you know not what you know that can get you that promotion.

Thank you!