Job Application Experiences!

The job application and hiring process is so essential for both applicant as well as the company hiring. 

I applied and interviewed for my current position as an associate veterinarian in the summer of 2020. The application and interview process were initially straightforward. I applied through an online application tool, and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter set up interviews for me with several others involved in the hiring process, and then I went and visited the hospitals I was interested in working at and met the doctors and staff there. The application and interview process were relatively smooth, and I leaned strongly towards taking a position there based on the positive interactions I had during my interview process. As I was making a career transition, I was looking for an employer who would support me through this process and felt like my current employer would have been a great mentor. They made me a very nice offer, however I decided to take another job at the time. Three months into my new job, I realized it was a bad fit and I contacted my current employer who was ecstatic I had reached out. My second interview process was even smoother and fast-tracked with a job offer (and acceptance) in a couple of weeks. 

The whole job application experience created an impression of a safe environment where I would be supported and considered a part of a greater whole working toward a common goal, while still being individually mentored, honored, and appreciated.  Having been in job/jobs with little of this since graduation from vet school, I accepted the new job and am happily working fewer hours with time (and money) for my MBA on the side. 

2 responses to “Job Application Experiences!”

1. Hello Kristy. Thanks for sharing your recent job application and interview experiences. From I own experiences, I understand and fully agree with your perspective on the environment and the “who” that I work with is as important, possibly more important, than the “what” or the “where” of my work. Glad it all worked so well for you.

2. Hi Kristy,

Your post resonated with me. I too have taken a job offer only to learn that I was not a good fit which is a very humbling experience. I give you kudos for taking the initiative to call the company to inquire about the job you turned down. It is not an easy thing to do!

Your post shows that it is not only on the company but also on the interviewee to know when a bad connection has been made. We should all keep your post in mind when we interview.

Thank you for sharing!
    Best – Christian