Writing Exercise #8

Some of the more interesting things I have learned about is the antibiotic resistance in bacteria not actually being caused by humans, but instead bacteria are receiving a boost in antibiotic resistance by humans. The E. coli strain that was frozen and found to be resistant to an antibiotic that humans had not been using yet was pretty shocking. For some time I believed that bacterial resistance came from humans misuse of antibiotics.

The E. coli strain that was frozen and found to be resistant to an antibiotic that humans had not been using yet was pretty shocking. The idea that something can be resistant to an antibiotic that is yet to be created is slightly terrifying, as it means that any future antibiotics that are created have the potential to be useful for only a small period of time as bacteria can already be resistant to them. Bacteria appeared to have developed a natural immunity to many antibiotics through their interactions with nature, perhaps there is a possible way to deal with bacteria that does not require any form of antibiotics that can be found in nature.

For my poster I think I would like to find a potential future solution to the bacterial resistance issue that continues to get worse. I have heard of phages being a possible use however I have not done much research into them and would like to potentially use them as my poster.