Blog post 3

Hello everyone, Time goes by fast! In today’s post, I want to share some updates for our project and some of my experiences preparing for the interview. Let’s start!

For our project, thanks to my teammates, we’re able to set up hosting services for the backend and our database. So for my part, I was designing the UI for our frontend, and trying to implement my design into code. I use create react app to set everything up. And found in the documentation that there are libraries for setting up routes between pages. After reading some examples, I was able to set up the routes for my pages. Also, I was able to set up boostrap library for the styling. There are many resources you can find here https://create-react-app.dev/ . I’ve learned a lot when setting up foundations for the frontend.

Alright, as for some of my experiences in preparing for the interview. First, in order to get an interview, you need to start applying for jobs as early as you can. Some of the common mistakes people make is applying late because they feel they are not ready yet. However, you will never feel ready for an interview. There is just too much stuff we need to learn. But what you can do is apply early, and if you’re able to get some OA or phone interview, focus on those opportunities first to get some experience from it, and build from there.

Second, do LeetCode. This is just the basic preparation anyone who is looking for a developer job needs to go through. My suggestion is to follow the Blind 75 leetcode as you can build up your skill and understanding of basic algorithm and data structure knowledge. And for those 75 questions, do them at least 3 times. And make sure you’re able to talk about how you come up with the solution and walk through the code. This will help you to build up some confidence and be able to tackle more leetcode problems in the future.

Lastly, practice behavior questions. As a new grad, being able to showcase what kind of a person you are and what you’ve accomplished is very important. Employers want to hire new grads with potential, not just how good you are with coding. You need to show the employer that you are a good team player and that you’re able to work with others on a big project. Sometimes people fail the interview on behavior questions instead of technical questions, to me, that feels really bad because behavior questions are the ones that you’re able to prepare.

Alright, that’s about it for today. I’ll give you some updates on the project and share more about how to prepare for interviews!