Week 2

Last week, we’re assigned to our project team. But before I get to that, I want to talk about my internship experiences this summer first. Stay tuned!

I was interning with Intuit this summer. It was my first time working with a big company. At first, I was pretty nervous, but after I started working with my team, I found there are many resources to help you succeed. And all the people you meet in the company are more than happy to help you. I was also assigned a body/mentor to help me get started with the job and ramp up with all the resources in the company. All of the above helped me to feel more comfortable and started my work gradually.

During my internship, before I was assigned the project I need to build, I was learning new tech stack and new skills. I learned React, Typescript, and Redux. And later on, I was assigned a project related to the above skill set.

At the end of my internship, there are several things I think it’s really important, and it’s difficult to learn in class.

1. Learn how to ask questions
  2. How to reach out to people
  3. How to explain your problems to other people
  4. Test Driven Development

You can see from the above that most of the things that I learned are not tech skills. However, I found that having clear communication with people you work with is super important. And that also takes some practice to get better. It’s also important to let people know what blocks you from building something. Sometimes the problems that block you for the whole day, might be solved by just asking the right person.

Now let’s talk about our project for this class. I was assigned the project Software Programming Quiz which is a web application similar to SurveyMonkey that let people send out custom quizzes to candidates and get results back. I was fortunate to team up with Satyam and Eric, and we’re just starting to set things up. We just finished our project plan and the mock-up of how our website would look like. And all the Github, Jira, and communications are also set up. Very much looking forward that we’re going to starting to build something!

Hopefully, we’ll have something to demo next time. See you next time!