Blog Post #2: Post week one

This quarter has started off pretty amazing to say the least. I was extended my first offer as a software developer for a well-known banking company. For my capstone project, my group was assigned the project that was our first-choice. I’m grateful for all the luck and opportunities thats come my way. We’re starting off strong and I’m ready to learn as much as I can to prepare for the tech industry.

For our project, we were assigned our number one choice: “Dating app for animal adoption”. This app seems to aim towards creating a fun way of adopting a pet similar to the dynamic of dating apps like Tinder. Off the bat, our group had decided to tackle this project using the MERN stack. For those not familiar, the MERN stack consists of: MongoDB for the database/backend, Express.js for the servers, React.js for the frontend/UI, and Node.js. We chose MERN since it is THE number 1 stack for web development. Learning it would be great for our careers as developers.

Later this week, our team is planning to meet to discuss the logistics and plan through the processes to complete the project. I’m planning to present the flowchart that I created and showcase my vision of the project. In my version of the project, I hope to create a large landing page showcasing the pets that are available and options to sign in and create an account. Once a user has signed in, they will see a large news feed similar to that of Facebook or Instagram, as well as options to match with potential pets. As for the dating app feature, I thought a lot about implementing some sort of swiping feature similar to Tinder but would love to implement a selecting feature that is unique to our project. I had also thought about displaying a percentage match feature that determines and displays how compatible the user is to the adoptable pet. This would allow us to display more pets at a time and avoid using swiping as a way to decide matches. However, I plan to run these ideas by the team and have all of our visions match before the final version. Can’t wait to start.