Blog Post #1

Coming out of college with an Economics degree, I worked as an analyst at a very well-known energy drink company for a few years. During my time as an analyst, I primarily worked in Microsoft Excel. It wasn’t until learning how to script and visual data with Python that I discovered what software engineering was. In the midst of the pandemic, I decided to make the jump into computer science and started teaching myself how to code. I was drawn to the problem solving and building aspect of software engineering, which prompted me to enroll at OSU.

The project that interested me the most from the catalog was building a modular quoting system for small businesses. I was particularly drawn to this project because my family owns and operates a small business that would greatly benefit from a piece of software like this. Being able to build this project would allow me to one day help my family through software. I hope I am able to learn what features will work or won’t work for my family’s business and the best way to build something that will meet the business’s needs.

I’m excited to dive in the project and learn how software engineering works in a team setting as this is the first group project of this magnitude that I’ve worked on. I would say that I am a team player when it comes to group projects, as I normally will just do what needs to be done. In my software engineering career, I hope to advance as a contributor as that is where I think I will excel the most. As for concerns with the group project, I believe that communication is the most important aspect of working together in a team and failure to communicate will be the downfall of any group.

One response to “Blog Post #1”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.