Decisions, Decisions

There are so many projects to choose from. I feel like I have sampled most of the languages required to do about 85% of the projects listed. I really appreciate the broad scope of the projects and level of difficulty which should appeal to students already in the industry as well as newbies such as myself. I chose 4 projects: Citizen science app for kids, job tracker, a crowd sourced shopping app and a crowd sourced physical fitness app.

My first choice was the job tracker. I am using an Excel sheet to keep track of who I have contacted, method of contact, date of contact, response, etc. All of this information is required in order to avoid duplicate applications, recall what I’ve applied for should I receive an unannounced call from a recruiter, remember notes about the company taken during research to bring up during interview, names of interviewers and recruiters for follow-up, so much information! I have applied for over 100 positions. I suspect it will take between 6 months to a year to find my first tech job after graduation, and that is why this type of tracker would be an invaluable aid to getting there.

My second choice was the citizen science app for kids. Science is the future, whether it is lab grown meat, steaks anyone? Or self-driving cars. What was a somewhat simplistic design such as a basic vehicle or a meat processing plant, is slowly transitioning towards a heavy dependence on technology and science. If the United States is to compete with the world, we have to raise kids who love science! It blows my mind when I think of all of that untapped talent simply because someone failed to excite them about science. And let’s face it, science is exciting.

My third choice was a crowd sourced shopping app. I literally thought of this idea myself about 3 days ago, no lie. With inflation and food costs at an all-time high, Aldi’s is no longer cutting it. I started thinking of Skiplagged, a genius and maybe controversial website that allows the traveler to piecemeal their air travel itinerary. Why can’t we do this with food? It’s brilliant!

My fourth choice was a crowd sourced fitness app. I am in need of a great fitness app and I have a hard time being loyal to just one. Exercise can be such a lonely endeavor and many exercise app makers have understood the value of incorporating the social aspect into the app to keep the user motivated, to keep them logging in for those connections. Anything with the term “crowd sourced” at the end is better than anything a limited group of experts can come up with. An example: Waze (my go-to navigation app) and Wikipedia (my go-to for just about anything). I think this would be a great project and a very viable product.

So, let’s just see what I end up doing! It might be something from this list or something altogether different. I look forward to blogging about my trials and tribulations as I boldly venture forward in this capstone course. So stay tuned…