Writing Exercise #8- Article and Review Reflection

I found the article somewhat confusing and I had a difficult time initially taking in all the details and their meaning but I was able to understand the larger takeaways and their purpose. I then went on to read the review, and found that this helped me digest the content and better understand the paper. After reading both and having a good general understanding, I went back and read back over the areas which initially confused me with the aid of the review. Overall, I think the review helps to drive home the points and provides a more palatable approach to understanding the paper.

One main takeaway was the difference between our ability to sequence in this weeks classes versus the time period described in Fleischmann’s paper. Its clear to me that with our current technology genome sequencing has gone from taking six months to under an hour. This is an incredible advancement and made me feel very thankful for the developments in our field which make information so accessible. I am personally not a huge fan of the coding we’ve been doing, but it provides us with incredible information and ability.