Week 9 Blog

Overall I learned that I’m a calm and mostly stress free person. First, with the stress inventory test I saw that I don’t have too many things changing in my life at the same time and a low susceptibility to stress-induced breakdowns. However, more things will be changing in the next year so I may reach that 150 point threshold. This tells me that as I’m leaving school and entering my professional career I need to find ways to deal with possible stress and try to put myself in the best position possible.

Next, in the coping and stress survey I found that I cope through problem solving when dealing with stress. According to Psychology Today it’s a strategy that works well for problems that can be solved but can lead to problems with irreversible problems such as the death of a loved one. I think I’m lucky to be this way but once I run into problems like the one I mentioned then I will need to find help to get through tough situations like that.

Afterwards, in the personality survey I saw that I can become irritated and impatient with others but I try not to show it. Apparently I’m not a high danger individual when considering heart disease from stress which is good to hear. However, I’ll try to have a better attitude towards such frustrating situations as I get into my career because it could become a bigger issue.

According to: https://www.shawgibbs.com/services/businesses/hr-services/employers-can-reduce-stress-in-the-workplace

5 ways companies can help their employees with stress are the following:

• Lead by example through having managers that don’t let their emotions get the best of them.
  • Introducing workplace wellness schemes such as installing a gym for exercise and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
  • Constant communication with employees about their performance, goals, and overall their experience in the company.
  • Provide a relaxing space in the office that employees can go to for some time to cool down. A 15 minute break in such a room could really improve the mood of the employees.
  • Create social activities so that employees of the company can have more opportunities to like their coworkers and therefore have a more enjoyable time at work.