Applying to be a Barista

The last job I applied for was to be a barista my junior year of high school. Although this was now almost four years ago, I still remember the hiring process fairly well. Both of my older sisters worked at the coffee bar I was applying to, which was the reason I chose to apply there in the first place. Since my sisters worked there for a while before me, the hiring process was pretty laid back. Their managers were their friends, and they knew I would be great addition to the team because they loved my sisters. All I had to do was fill out and send an application and have an informal interview with the manager of the coffee bar. After going through the hiring process, my views of the job did not change from before. I knew that just because I was hired quickly and without much question, the job would still require a lot out of me. In my interview, the manager explained to me that working 6 hours in a coffee bar is not as fun as it might seem. Opening at 6 am and standing for the entirety of the shift while would be difficult, and maintaining great customer service would always be most important. Hearing that it would be a challenge excited me. I know that this hiring process wasn’t a typical one, and in my future they are likely to be much more difficult, but at least I have had the experience and know how it works for less-professional, customer service jobs.

One reply on “Applying to be a Barista”

Grace,

Thank you for sharing your experiences! With the interview process being so laid back, I’m curious if anything caught you off guard once you started the role that may have not been discussed during the interview process.

Kayla