Design and Politics

Do you feel included, ignored, galvanized, patronized, disillusioned, or something else entirely?

When it comes to political design work, it is safe to assume that every angle and method is strategical. There are many ways that political design can be viewed but, in the end, its primary purpose is to influence the way you feel about a party, candidate, or side of an issue. This can make people feel used and disillusioned or it can make you feel galvanized and patronized. For myself, I feel lucky to know the difference. Political design can almost be compared to working the strings of a puppet (the puppet being the political figure or party). There are different methods the puppet master (political designer) can use to influence the audience (the voters). He can use fear and anger to belittle the other party or candidate in order to create divide. He can use praise for his political candidate and choose one side. Or he can offer peace to the audience or voters as a whole. Because there are so many different ways that political design can be used to influence and sway votes of people, I personally feel a few emotions.

The TED Radio Hour: Manipulation

In some cases, like Trump’s red MAGA hat, I feel belittled and disrespected because the design has chosen to be simplified so much that it feels as if they did not care. They had a message they wanted to get out there as quickly and cheaply as they could, and they did just that. This form of design work feels rude to the people who did not side with him politically and creates a barrier between people who support him and do not. I personally felt that the Trump organizations political design work, and his misogynistic, ignorant and revolting personality, hurt his campaign enough to have a sway in the 2020 election which he did not win.

The Biden organization political design work made me feel a completely different way. Throughout his campaign, he stressed his want and goal for uniting the people of America. This was clear and evident with his choices and communication of design. His campaigns political design work offered me a sense of peace instead of hostility. A sense of unity instead of division. And a sense of pride instead of disgust and embarrassment. In my opinion, Biden had a great campaign that tried to help bring together the people and that is how political design should be used.

Political design holds great power in this world and should be used to unify and not divide. It is important that political designers work for what they believe in so that they communicate a message that is not only true to them but true to the political party or candidate that they are working for. If political design is done correctly, it makes me feel safer knowing that there is a hope for peace, and a truly United States.