Blog Post #4 – The Job Hunt

It’s very strange to me how the job climate ends up around the times that I’ve graduated so far. The first time I graduated with my Criminal Justice Bachelor’s Degree, I wanted to be a lawyer but didn’t have enough money to afford law school. I looked around and nobody was hiring, especially for someone with my degree as there aren’t really specialized jobs for that degree. You would think something like a CSI or even law enforcement would be looking for a degree like that, but no, nobody wanted to hire me, so I had to give up my dream of becoming a lawyer. I ended up working a minimum wage job at a baseball stadium for the next year until I was laid off due to the pandemic, and at that point I seriously had nowhere to go.

Fast forwarding a bit, after that I had entered this Computer Science program. About two years later, I’m about to graduate with my second Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and a Certificate in Cybersecurity. Of course, now tons of jobs are talking about huge layoffs. Just this morning, Meta laid off 11,000 employees, and recently Amazon has done the same in addition to all of the big tech companies closing their hiring for entry-level new graduates.

For some reason, I just have the worst luck with hiring time. I’m hoping that I can still find a job with a small firm that isn’t struggling as much from inflation and the pandemic, but I’m losing hope there. I’ve been homeless before, and I’ve been in this position of constantly looking for a job and finding nothing. I can only hope that this situation resolves soon and I can get back into a big tech job, as that’s where my experience is (interning for Amazon). Here’s hoping the tech jobs start opening again!