Maintaining Job Descriptions:

After soaking in the thoughts from the main text “First, break all the rules: What the world’s greatest managers do differently.” (Buckingham) I have an idea of what material I am looking to analyze in the articles we had to read. This gave me a broad scope of why job titles/descriptions are often an important tool forgot/left out in the HR responsibilities. Ever heard the phrase “look good feel good?” I believe this can hold true to a job title, for example would you like to be called a janitor or perhaps maintenance manager or technician would be a more proud title even though the description/responsibilities of the job may be the same. If an individual is proud of their work they are more likely to share outside of work with peers which could ultimately help in recruiting. I found in the article “Job worth doing: Update descriptions” that job descriptions are often outdated “Once completed, they may be relegated to dusty three-ring binders or long-unopened text documents.” (Tyler) From this article I also learned job descriptions can help set goals while also being a follow up matrix to review whether the goals have been met. I was very enlightened by the article “These businesses found a way around the worker shortage: Raising wages to $15 an hour or more.” This was interesting because it appears there is a fine balance point between money compensation and workplace happiness that occurs in the service industry. I like how Patrick Whalen was innovative in creating a separate tip on the receipts for the kitchen and even matching up to $500 per night! This almost effectively doubled the pay of his workers which boosted morale and new applications thru the roof with minimal cost out of his pocket! His worker even said “It puts everyone in a better position in their home life, so they come to work a lot happier.” This is proof in the pudding! Pun intended 🙂

Sources:

Rosenberg, Eli. “These Businesses Found a Way around the Worker Shortage: Raising Wages to $15 an Hour or More.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 10 June 2021, https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/10/worker-shortage-raising-wages/.

Tyler, Kathryn. “Job Worth Doing: Update Descriptions.” SHRM, SHRM, 11 Apr. 2018, https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/Pages/0113-job-descriptions.aspx.