Get a Hobby!

Not much has happened with our project since my last post, so I want to talk about a somewhat unrelated topic this week.

Running was my only hobby for a long time, and not too long ago I was going out almost every morning getting some fresh air, sun, and exercise.  I was doing a good 20-30 miles a week, but the last couple months I’ve slowly started to lose my running habit.  Especially in the last four or five weeks since classes started up again, I’ve just been staying inside staring at a screen all day without any form of exercise.  I usually get stressed pretty easily when it comes to homework and other things, but I know for a fact this has made me even more unproductive and anxious about school work and this project, and we’re not even halfway through the term.

I think getting back into running as a form of exercise will definitely help, but I also think I need some variety and more than one constructive hobbies to get me outside and moving… so I’ve started foraging for mushrooms! 

It’s kind of random; I had never had an interest in the subject until I started reading about it a couple weeks ago, but it’s extremely interesting and super fun to learn about.  Also, I didn’t know how common mushrooms are if you just take the time to look; in just the two or three little walks/hikes in the woods near my apartment I’ve done I’ve already scored some awesome finds.  

The best part is I’ve found a topic that I’m interested in and can learn about outside of academics, so I feel like I’m still doing something constructive while keeping some balance in my life.  I’m confident this will improve my focus and attitude when I need to work by helping me relax and have fun when I need to take a break. Plus, a hobby that results in free delicious food is pretty awesome! (By the way, don’t eat any mushroom unless you’re 100% sure it’s edible!)

A Lion’s Mane mushroom I found and made into mushroom nuggets
Red chanterelles were my first find, and they were delicious!
Some honey mushrooms that I didn’t know were edible at the time and were gone when I went back 🙁
A Hedgehog mushroom I will be eating tonight!