Why I chose OSU to obtain my CS Degree

Finding a job is very hard. But you probably already knew that. Before joining Oregon State University (OSU), I was looking very hard for a job. I decided to take the self taught route for computer science, but that proved to be fruitless because the interviews I was getting told me that I did not have a computer science so they believed I did not have the skillset necessary to do the job. That made me very frustrated because I knew I could do the job, but I was not being given a chance. I was faced with a dilemma. Keep applying to jobs and hope someone sees my value or go back to school to pass the degree screening. Reluctantly, I decided to get a second degree. I did a lot of research for potential schools and lucky to come across and commit to attending Oregon State University. I am glad I chose the school and want to tell others the benefits of choosing it to get into the tech industry.

As you know, OSU offers an Online Post-baccalaureate Computer Science degree to individuals who already have a degree. The important word here being online. This allowed me to stay exactly where I was at and take classes. I did not have to worry about things like housing, food, transportation, safety, and anything else that comes with moving. They took that stress away by making it online. Also, since you can complete assignments whenever you want, when they are available to do so, you are not on a set schedule so it would not interfere with your job. After I got my first developer role, classes did not interfere with mine.

OSU provides many opportunities to get a job. They have networking events, fairs, and newsletters for their students to secure a job or an internship before graduation. I like how they actually had resources available to help students get the one thing they actually wanted, a job. Finding a job definitely is not easy, but they made it easier.

I liked how many of the classes were taught in Python. Python is a much easier language to pick up, opposed to C++ or Java. This introduction into programming with Python prevents students from dropping out because concepts are easier to grasp. When I took CS 344 with C++, I couldn’t imagine having to use that language to take CS 161 or CS 162.

Being able to put Computer Science degree from OSU on my resume, I was finally started to get taken seriously at interviews. They did not immediately question my abilities. They gave me a fair chance like everyone else and that ultimately helped me find my first position. Interviews are still hard, but just having that expected degree on my resume just opened up more doors for me. 

OSU was the right decision for me when I decided to go back to school. This program is just as valid as any other computer science program out there and can be used as a stepping stone to a higher pay bracket. Others should take the opportunity to come here if they choose the same path that I did.