IPIP Results and Reactions

On this test I was somewhat surprised by my results, but some of the areas were what I would expect. I didn’t score extremely high or low most of my answers were in the “average” range which was really interesting. I scored a (52) on extroversion which I completely agree with. I enjoy being social, but I also enjoy time to myself it really depends on my mood and the situation. I scored an average (56) on agreeableness. I scored a slightly higher (58) on conscienciousness which the description said is reasonably reliable, organized and self controlled. I scored fairly low on neuroticism (34) and similarly on openness to experience (30). I was most surprised by the lower score on openness to experience because I am generally pretty adventurous and really enjoy trying new things. In the description it said I would be categorized as down to earth and practical though which I can see as fitting.

If a potential employer was looking at my scores they would likely not pick me for a job that needs an extreme personality. I think my score on extroversion is generally an asset as I can read many situations and fit into a lot of groups. I don’t have to be the center of attention but I can step up and lead when the opportunity presents itself. I also think being conscientious is always important, I don’t think my score is outstanding, but it’s definitely not a red flag for employers either. The same goes for agreeableness, I think employers would appreciate that I scored higher on elements like cooperation which is important in the workforce. I also think my score on neuroticism was okay although it could have been better. My results showed that my emotional reactions are normal and that I am able to get past them and move on. Depending on the job the importance of this could vary as some jobs require more control over your emotions than others. Finally, I think that employers could want someone with a higher openness to experience depending on the job. If it is a more traditional position that requires following strict guidelines then I think they would be happy with my score. Overall, it really depends on the position they are seeking to fill, in most cases each of these can be seen as positive or negative.

Join the Conversation

3 Comments

1. Hi Courtney,
    I think you’re right that you don’t have an extreme personality. Almost all of your scores are very average between the two extremes and I think that is really valuable. This shows that you are able to show both sides of the spectrum for every category to a lesser degree than someone that has all high or low scores like me. I agree that every personality could be strong or weak depending on the position you are applying for.

2. Hello Courtney,
    I was surprised at some of my results as well. This test was not 100% accurate for sure. Openness to experience seems like a very broad category, and perhaps the test did not do the best job at judging this domain. Your high score in agreeableness indicates that you are a good listener and work well in groups of people. Great post!

3. Courtney,
    I am on the same boat as you, I was somewhat surprised too! I feel like we got somewhat similar results. I as well don’t like all of the attention around me but I am always willing to step up to the plate and take the lead if I am needed – something I am not afraid of doing. I also scored low on the openness to experience. Seeing these results, you may start to think down on yourself but it doesn’t matter, as long as you are true to yourself then these personality tests don’t mean anything.