Most Important thing I’ve learned

The most important thing that I have learned in this class was how to create tasks statements for a job description and what tasks statements were. Prior to this lesson I would have assumed that a job description would just be filled out with general information about the job, and that this blurb would generally include what kinds of tasks the person applying would be responsible for if they were selected for the role. However, in one of the lecture we learned about tasks statements, specific tasks outlined in their own portion of the job description, that are created to highlight the importance of the tasks, and make are supposed to be specific rather than general. When I watched this lecture it stood out to me and I took note, because I felt like it would be really important to me in the next few months as I enter my first post-grad job of my career as a recruiting consultant for a recruiting firm. My own jonb description includes a task statement revolving around writing and scanning job descriptions. Furthermore, the portion of the lecture that identified the “rules/guidelines” to writing a good task statement seemed even more important to me and what lies ahead of me. So much so that I even copied down this portion of the lecture into my personal notes on my phone, so that I could easily access them, when the time comes to start writing them in July. I am hoping to rememer: one action enacted on one object, written at an understandable level, No competencies, no policies, level of authority indicated, and should make sense by itself memorized by heart by the end of the summer, after what I anticipate to be a lot of pracrice with using the skill set and rules in real life.

3 responses to “Most Important thing I’ve learned”

1. Kyle Ferrero Avatar
    Kyle Ferrero

Hi Elisabeth,

I think that is really interesting that you took something from this class that is so readily applicable to your career. I think that internalizing a lot of the concepts in this class will give you a leg up on your competition when you enter the industry. I am curious as to how different the real-world application of this process is from what we discussed in class as I assume there will be a large learning curve. Great job with your blog post!

-Kyle

2. Mckenna Williams Avatar
    Mckenna Williams

Hi Elisabeth! I think that understanding the ways to create task statements for job descriptions was something that was very beneficial to learn in the class. I think that it has very many interesting insights that I can now use in the future for myself, and if I am in the hiring process as well. I liked how you included the task statement that you have implemented for your own job description and what you have taken away from this course. Great post!

3. Tanner Blaydon Avatar
    Tanner Blaydon

Hello Elisabeth,

Congrats on getting the new job starting in July and relating your own application process to the course’s task statements. Writing down the different rules for writing good task statements will definitely help you as you start your career. I think that this topic was also very important for everyone to know as it could help you make a decision whether or not ot apply for a company’s position or not.