Typical v. Maximal Performance

1. If put in the position to have to choose between Avery and Jamie in general to hire as an employee I would probably pick Jamie. Although it is frustrating to know that Jamie couldn’t perform to the highest level when needed, knowing the day-to-day performance would live up to what is expected would seem much more worthwhile to me. I also feel like knowing exactly what to expect is a lot more comforting in someone you hire than someone who typically does less than you would hope for but could rise to the occasion if the situation was right.
  2. I think that Avery would be better hired in a project-based job like engineering or software development where the peak performance would be necessary when it was Avery’s time to shine, but the day-to-day had room for times when there was less work needed out of them, or they could have lower performance levels. Avery would be more valuable than Jamie in these positions because you want the best person to design your building or code the website for your business. However, once that project is over and they are filing paperwork or writing quotes it would be more acceptable to have lower consistency in these times and not work to your ceiling. Your everyday work fluctuates, but when the main point of what you need to do arrives you are able to do the best job and make it happen better than anyone else.
  3. Jamie would be better in a job like billing, production, and customer service. Things where your daily tasks are generally the same and there are rarely times you have to put forth more effort or need to be the best person at your job to perform it well. Jamie would be more beneficial than Avery in this situation because these roles are all things where you need to be able to perform to the same capability every single today in order to perform your job well. It’s okay if you are not the world’s greatest billing department employee and know all of the codes off the top of your head and how much you bill for everything, but it is important to be able to stay ahead of bills and get them out on time, so consistency is much more important in a role like this. You need to be able to depend on what someone can get done with consistent work always coming in.

2 responses to “Typical v. Maximal Performance”

1. Chenghao Huang Avatar
    Chenghao Huang

From your reply, I find that you prefer employees with stable work performance. Although I have different opinions with you on the choice of this issue, I also believe that stable work performance of employees is the guarantee of completing work tasks.

2. Tanner Blaydon Avatar
    Tanner Blaydon

Hello Elisabeth,
    Picking between Avery and Jaime could be a difficult decision depending on what exactly the job entails however I also came to the same conclusion that hiring Jaime would be the safer option. For Avery I thought he would perform better in seasonal style jobs such as phone development. I liked your example of placing him in engineering because I feel that it would work the same way.