Experiences with Discrimination

If I were to put myself into the scenario described I would have some negative feelings toward the company. I don’t think that just reading about the lawsuit would alter the way I felt about the company entirely because as we saw in the lecture from this week sometimes companies perform adverse impacts. Where there is proof of some discrimination but it is not intentional. Regardless, claims like this would shift the company into some negative light in my eyes. Similar to how I feel about changing my thoughts about the company I do not think just reading about a trial would cause me to stop supporting the company entirely. If I took the time to read more about the case and the evidence was clear that they were discriminating on purpose I definitely would stop giving them my business. However, if the claims were a little bit wishy-washy and seemed to be reaching I don’t think that I would stop supporting the business completely but might slow down until I get definitive answers. I think that if the group making the claims was a group that I associated with extremely close, such as they were discriminating against college-aged girls, I probably wouldn’t apply there. I think that knowing that you have a good chance of just being thrown out based on who you are is not a place I would want to apply to. I think if the claims were broader and it was they were discriminating against people under 25 I might be more likely to because I think that this is more likely to be unintentional on the company’s part.

One response to “Experiences with Discrimination”

1. Raven Tikka Avatar
    Raven Tikka

Hi Elisabeth,
    I kind of had the same feeligns as you did. I felt that inorder to figure out if I was going to support the company or not I wanted to make sure that I had the information. Choosing to not support something based on a little statement is not enough for me. I would need to make sure I had enough information and understood it inorder to make that decision. I can agree with you that if I took the time to read more about the case and the evidence was clear that they were discriminating on purpose I definitely would stop giving them my business. When it comes to applying I had simualr feeling that if I felt it was going to effect me personally and make me feel uncomfortable in the work environment then I would not apply.