Job Application Experience

The most recent job application experience I had was applying for a staffing firm as a recruiting consultant. The application process from an applicant perspective was smooth. I found the listing on Glassdoor, a website used to post and find jobs. I just uploaded my resume and then filled out their short questionnaire. There was also an optional portion to leave a note to the hiring managers about why you wanted the job or felt like you would be a good fit.

Since they were posting the job on Glassdoor it made me feel like the company was really trying to fill this role. Posting job ads on other sites typically means they’re expending resources to find someone for the job. This made me want to work there more because they understand the importance of finding quality workers and not just hiring the people they can get to apply who might see their post for a job on their own site. Additionally, the portion for leaving a message about why you wanted the job or felt qualified to work there rather than asking for a cover letter made me want to work there more than most of the professional jobs I had previously applied for. Asking for a cover letter is very broad and old school. I think that leaving this open message forum signaled that they were looking forward to the evolving world. It also seemed more personable, which is something I would love in a company I was working for. This also made me want to work there more. The thing about this process that made me want to work there most was that they did reply promptly. Regardless of getting an interview or not hearing back from a company in a timely manner and when they say they will shows that they respect you.

2 responses to “Job Application Experience”

1. Tanner Brannan Avatar
    Tanner Brannan

Hello Elisabeth,

Your observations on what mediums a given company is using for receiving applications is rather interesting and not something I had thought of much before. However, I can see how extensive use of a variety of different platforms and methods to attract recruits could be seen as a good sign given how difficult it can be to do this. Many applicants in recent years have complained about a lack of responsiveness from employers or their recruiters, so small signs of a company going out of its way to grab people’s attention can be a good way for an organization to stand out from some of its competitors. Given how hard it is for hiring managers to find good employees, anything that can give you even a small edge has the potential to save your organization huge sums of money in the long run. Thanks for sharing this blog, it demonstrates one of the ways a company can recruit better than their competition.

2. Zachary Lame Avatar
    Zachary Lame

I really liked the perspective you took on this week’s blog and overall thought you addressed every aspect of the prompt. I am one of those people who gets agitated when I don’t hear back from a job because I don’t know if I will get a call from a different job I applied for whilst waiting for a callback, especially if I wanted the job I was originally waiting on.