Typical Vs. Maximal Performance

In this situation, strong arguments can be made for both candidates. But if I am going to be hiring someone for an essential position, I would err on the side of caution and hire Jaime. No business, even at the upper management level works outside of a team and I feel that if I hired someone like Avery in a critical role it could eventually lead to problems. It could create an undue workload for other members of my organization. A build of up animosity over time could lead to a toxic work environment, resulting in unwanted turnover of other talented members of my company. I think overall consistency, where colleagues know what type of performance they will get out of one another creates a better working atmosphere. Even though both candidates have their high points, I value consistency. I feel like a creative position, such as in marketing or design, would better suit Avery because this would give more leeway to explore the role without having to worry about consistency as much as reaching their potential. Obviously, there would need to be some sort of structure in the position in the form of deadlines and content appropriateness, but I believe having the overall freedom to create would suit Avery’s style. I envision a more structured position for Jaime though, such as finance or supply chain/operations. These positions, while very important to any company, require a lot of consistency and attention to detail as opposed to relying on potential. This would suit Jaime because it does not require going outside of a specific comfort zone, but instead assuring regulations are adhered to and followed. Both candidates have distinguished qualities, but finding the right positions for each is what would really help them excel.

2 responses to “Typical Vs. Maximal Performance”

1. Jeongmin Lee Avatar
    Jeongmin Lee

Hi John. Thanks for your post. It was great to read your post and we have similar thoughts on the subject. I also mentioned that I would hire Jaime because I value consistency more than the potential of employees like you said. It was interesting to see your reason for choosing Jaime as a team work and harmony perspective which I couldn’t think about when I wrote my post. You mentioned that employees like Avery would have a negative impact by making the workplace a toxic work environment and I think this totally makes sense. I personally believe that many job positions require consistent employees except for positions like product design or development.

2. Hunter Krupka Avatar
    Hunter Krupka

Hi John,
    I feel like Jaime’s consistency over the occasional stellar performance that Avery offers makes them far more useful in a plethora of positions. Employees that are able to constantly perform and meet their goals are instrumental for keeping an organization moving forward. I believe that in almost all cases, it would simply take too much effort to keep Avery on track to meeting their goals, and for that reason, I would go with Jaime 9 times out of 10. The only time that I really think Avery’s abilities would be better would be in an environment where there is plenty of time to complete tasks (loose or nonexistent deadlines), or one where the organization can afford to constantly supervise them or pay them enough to stay motivated. Even then, the potential for a negative workplace dynamic caused by Avery like you mentioned may make them simply not worth all of the effort in the first place.