Hypothetical Discrimination

I think if I read an article discovering my favorite company was faced with a lawsuit surrounding discrimination, I would want to do more research. Call it caution. Call it double checking. Call it what you will, but with so much misinformation in the media and online today, I would want to verify the article before I jump to conclusions, get facts misconstrued, and react based solely on emotion. If the lawsuit were to be true, it would make me think twice about purchasing their products or services, especially if it was something I felt I could live without. If there was a similar product I could purchase and be equally satisfied with, I would happily replace the tarnished brand with a new one. Even if it meant venturing out of my comfort zone, I feel I would need to step away. A company that delves into discriminatory behavior does not deserve my business. Despite that notion, I would not completely rule out attempting to work there in the future. I would first need to see how the lawsuit played out in the judicial system because it could expose more facts. I would then like to see what changes the company has made to combat the discriminatory issues and to see what measures are taken to ensure it never happens again. I understand that there is only so much information an outsider can gather, but if the company is trying to repair its overall image after a situation such as this, then there will most likely be enough public information to see whether they are taking the business in the right direction. This could present an opportunistic career move, but it would greatly depend on the company’s commitment to change coupled with my desire to work there.

2 responses to “Hypothetical Discrimination”

1. Jerrod Richmond Avatar
    Jerrod Richmond

Completely agree. You mention the possibility of a lack of public information in a situation like this and that would be a huge indication for me. If the company was truly empathetic to the situation and trying to fix it they would openly disavow the discriminatory actions and clearly state their plans to fight discrimination within their company. Depending on the results of the case and if the company stays true to their word, I don’t see any problems with someone supporting or looking to join the company.

2. Hunter Krupka Avatar
    Hunter Krupka

Hi John, I too believe that the first step anyone should take in this situation is gathering more information. Sometimes, sources of media may run an article or story while leaving out some of the important facts. Like you mentioned, operating purely out of emotion really isn’t the best idea, because you may not know the whole truth if you only read the one article or see the one story. Obviously, if it turns out that the organization is operating with discriminatory practices, most people would agree that they should no longer be supported. Luckily, we live in a world where competitors are prevalent in almost all industries, so there will likely always be another option to get the products and services that you want.