Congratulations to Goni Lab on earning the Gold-level Green Lab Certification!
The Sustainability Office has been working with Goni Lab on ways to make their space more sustainable, and they’ve done an amazing job!
Some highlights from their results include:
- Using Energy Star certified computer backup power units;
- Inspecting all freezers and fridges in the lab for leaks and cleaning out unnecessary samples;
- Participating in the OSU Department Composting program and providing compost bins for employee use;
- Purchasing pipette tip refills instead of new boxes from the supplier;
- Collecting batteries to be recycled or properly disposed of by Environmental Health and Safety;
- Always closing windows when heating or air conditioning is active to conserve energy.
The Goni Lab is the first ever OSU lab to be certified with our Green Lab Certification, and has already achieved Gold! We can’t wait to see how they plan to improve their score and go for Platinum!
About the Certification:
The Green Lab Certification is a simple yet effective way for OSU faculty and staff to further their sustainability efforts and get recognition for their work. It is also intended to provide new ideas for easy steps your lab can take to reduce your environmental footprint and carbon emissions.
It takes the shape of an online survey that assesses current lab practices under five categories: Utilities, Waste Management, Purchasing, Transportation and Travel, and Outreach, Engagement, and Professional Development.
Possible Certification Levels:
- Copper (50-59%)
- Silver (60-69%)
- Gold (70-79%)
- Platinum (80+%)
Don’t work in an Lab but are still interested in ‘greening’ your space? Check out our Green Office Certification and Green Greek Certification. More information about our Green Certifications program can be found here.
Those interested in learning more or completing a Green Certification can reach out to email@example.com.
CATEGORIES: Green Certification