Congratulations to the Pacific Marine Energy Center on earning the gold-level Green Office Certification!
PMEC, PacWave and OCCRI have been working in collaboration with each other and with the Sustainability Office on ways to ‘green’ their space and they’ve done an amazing job!
Some highlights from their results include:
- Using power strips with an occupancy sensor or on/off switch to reduce the energy consumption of electronic devices.
- Using natural lighting to supplement or replace overhead lighting whenever possible.
- Checking OSU Surplus for used office supplies or furniture before purchasing new ones.
- Purchasing office paper with a minimum of 80% post consumer waste content.
- Providing employees with adequate and secure indoor bike parking.
The Pacific Marine Energy Center joins the thirteen other OSU offices that have received a certification so far, and is one of only five that have received the gold level! We can’t wait to see how they plan to improve their score and go for platinum!
About the Certification:
The Green Office Certification is a simple yet effective way for OSU faculty and staff to further their sustainability efforts and get recognition for their work. It is also intended to provide new ideas for easy steps your office can take to reduce your environmental footprint and carbon emissions.
It takes the shape of an online survey that assesses current office practices under five categories: Utilities, Waste Management, Office Purchasing, Transportation and Travel, and Outreach, Engagement, and Professional Development.
Possible Certification Levels:
- Copper (50-59%)
- Silver (60-69%)
- Gold (70-79%)
- Platinum (80+%)
Don’t work in an office but are still interested in ‘greening’ your space? Check out our Green Labs Certification and Green Greek Certification. More information about our Green Certifications program can be found here.