On Wednesday, February 25th, Oregon State will be hosting the Stand-Up Economist, a performance of economics, climate change, and comedy. The event will take place in the Memorial Union Horizon Room from 7:00-8:30 PM, with sponsor group tabling starting at 6:00.
Pricing carbon pollution, either by a tax or through a cap and trade mechanism, is widely recommended by economists as an efficient, economically sensible strategy for reining in the pollution that is causing dangerous and irreversible changes tot the atmosphere and the ocean, and threatening our present and future environment and economy. The expert economists speaking at this event will provide engaging and rich information about this important public concern.
Yoram Bauman, Ph.D., the world’s first and only “stand-up economist,” is affiliated with the Sightline Institute and a leader of the CarbonWA.org revenue-neutral carbon tax campaign in Washington State.
Jenny Liu, Ph.D. is Assistant Director and Jeff Renfro is Senior Scientist at the Northwest Economic Research Center. The Center recently completed an authoritative analysis of a carbon tax in Oregon commissioned by Senate Bill 306, on which they will report.
Stop by the event for some enlightening fun and light dessert.
Event sponsors include:
- NW Friends of Union of Concerned Scientists
- OSU Division of Student Affairs
- OSU College of Agriculture Sciences
- OSU Student Sustainability Initiative
- OSU Sustainability Office
- OSU Department of Applied Economics
- OSU School of Public Policy
- Oregon Environmental Council
- League of Women Voters of Corvallis
- Oregon Climate
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Corvallis Chapter
- Corvallis Sustainability Coalition
- Climate Jobs Committee
- Union of Concerned Scientists, U.S.A
CATEGORIES: Climate Action Plan Community Sustainability