Are you a new student living in a residence hall? Are you interested in getting involved in sustainability at OSU? The Eco Representative program is a great way to promote sustainable practices and take on a leadership role in your dorm.
Eco-Representatives (Eco-reps) are responsible for encouraging a culture of sustainability in the residence halls in which they live. This position is in charge of educating residents about sustainable lifestyles and resources, assisting with marketing and outreach efforts for sustainability programs, and planning and executing sustainability-focused events.
Last year there was an Eco-rep for Halsell, West, and Wilson residence halls with a fourth hall to be added this year.
Eco-reps manage their hall’s participation in a variety of programs and events throughout the school year. One of the main focuses of Eco-reps last year was the composting program, in which the 3 halls composted 2,797 lbs in winter and spring terms. They also participated in programs like RecycleMania and Electric or Treat, where SSI staff and Eco-reps handed out CFL bulbs for Halloween.
Eco-reps will work 5-6 hours per week and have a variety of duties including:
- Attending and engaging with Residence Hall Council
- Providing weekly reports on activities and events, and attending weekly meetings with Eco-Rep Coordinator and monthly meetings with Resident Director
- Coordinating hall compost program by recruiting participants, emptying and cleaning compost bins, weighing and tracking data
- Engaging other student clubs and organizations in Eco-Rep or general campus activities
- Communicating with sustainability groups on campus, attending meetings when needed.
- Assisting with marketing and outreach in the residence hall for campus wide and UHDS sustainability programs
- Utilizing multiple tactics in marketing and outreach efforts, including tabling, canvassing, email listservs, fliers, bulletin boards, social media, and self-designed tactics
- Recruiting, coordinating and maintaining volunteers to assist with responsibilities, as needed
- Engaging in ongoing training on sustainability and campus resources
More information is available here, to apply submit a resume and cover letter that addresses why you are qualified and interested in the position, as well as a brief description of an event or program you might organize if hired. Send these application materials to Sonja Mae at the OSU Sustainability Office by Sunday, October 5.
CATEGORIES: Campus Sustainability