Waste Watchers Spotlight: Jasmine Armas

Name: Jasmine Armas Title/Nickname: Curly Fry Degree: Zoology, Pre-Vet Option Year in School: First year When did you start volunteering with the Waste Watchers? I started volunteering around the beginning of fall term. What has been your favorite project or event that the Waste Watchers have been involved in? I love the Repair Fairs; they […]

May 6, 2014

Jasmine 1Name: Jasmine Armas

Title/Nickname: Curly Fry

Degree: Zoology, Pre-Vet Option

Year in School: First year

When did you start volunteering with the Waste Watchers?

I started volunteering around the beginning of fall term.

What has been your favorite project or event that the Waste Watchers have been involved in?

I love the Repair Fairs; they bring community members and students together to try to increase the longevity of appliances, electronics, bikes, jewelry, and clothing. It’s really helpful for those who don’t have the funds to buy replacements or to go get their items fixed elsewhere.

What keeps you volunteering with the Waste Watchers?

Many people don’t know what to recycle and many others think they know what is and isn’t recycle but can be very misinformed. I know that through this club, I learned and corrected so many wrong habits. Promoting sustainable practices is important for the health of the planet. When I say that I mean the Earth and the people living in it. Many people see pollution as something that only affects the well-being of the Earth and don’t really care because they assume they won’t have to deal with the environmental consequences in their lifetime. But pollution and waste accumulation already have detrimental affects to health and food security of certain populations because socioeconomic status and race can influences who is forced to deal with waste disposal sites and other environmental hazards.

What would you like to see the Waste Watchers do in the future?

I would love for more people to get involved with the Waste Watchers and with the Student Sustainability Initiative. I would also love to see more collaborations between the Waste Watchers and the cultural resource centers.

What is one way you reduce waste in your everyday life?

Reusable cups, mugs, straws, and utensils go a long way in waste reduction. I use my thermos when I get coffee on and off campus, and my cold cup when I buy or make smoothies. I also use an Eco2Go container whenever I order to-go on campus.

Want to learn more about the Waste Watchers? Visit the volunteer webpage to learn more about how to get involved.

TAGS:

CATEGORIES: Campus Recycling Waste Reduction