Introducing PlanIt & what is full stack development?

Hello!

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I am currently taking my last class at Oregon State, which is a term-long Capstone group project. This is an opportunity to learn and practice developing in a more “real-world” environment by working with others on a project through the full software development life cycle (planning, designing, developing, testing, and deploying).

Hiking with elephants in Thailand – an experience I definitely would’ve shared
on Planit if it had existed then!

My team and I are working on a Crowd-Sourced Travel Planner, a web application named “PlanIt”, where users can share Experiences and plan their next adventures on this beautiful planet! I am particularly excited about this project as it is an opportunity to strengthen and utilize my computer sciences skills combined with my passion and love for travel.

Web applications have multiple components, from how it appears to the user (referred to as the “frontend”) to what is actually happening behind the scenes (the “backend”) to make everything work together and interact with the database. When a software developer is able to do both frontend and backend work, they are referred to as a “Full Stack Developer”.

Typically, my comfort zone and interest would be more behind the scenes in the backend of the application. However, I wanted to use this project as an opportunity to strengthen my frontend skills (what the user sees and interacts with) to become a more well-rounded developer, and thus volunteered to take this on for PlanIt! My goal is to make a responsive web page that is functional and looks like something from the current decade.

In future posts, I will be sharing more about my experience with frontend development for this project and helpful tools along the way. Stay tuned!