Science Concepts

perception, evidence, prediction, cause & effect, scale, quantity, continuity, change, matter, energy, patterns, systems & models, specimens, collections, tentative & durable, hypotheses, facts, theories, laws, science history, science fields

I am including my quiz response about making hypotheses off of facts and attributes. This shows many of the outcomes such as evidence, specimens, theories, perception, prediction, and more.

You find a dead bird and would like to identify the species. You may no longer be able to determine behavior, but describe the other four field mark characteristics you could use to identify the bird.

1. habitat: you can look at where it was located, and where it lived to help determine.

2. size: The size of the bird will provide an accurate number that you can check against records for

3. Shape: the shape of the bird can help you determine which bird it is.

4. Marks: Colors and stripes and spots, etc. These can be a very strong method for determining which species you are looking at as they commonly have very distinctive characteristics.

I am also showing my quiz response about carrying capacity to show cause and effect and change, along with my changes in nature media peice.

Carrying capacity is the total number of organisms that a certain habitat can sustain with its available resources.

1. Fires could be affecting the foxes by destroying their habitats or killing them in the fires.

2. lack of food can also limit the foxes population. As stated above, fires could lead to a lack of food after destroying/killing off their food.

3. Grasslands are often converted into agriculture due to the good, moist land. This means that the foxes habitats are often disappearing as they are converted into agriculture.

Changes in Nature

Leaves are changing as the weather is getting cooler and the sun is shining less. We generally see our leaves change color much earlier, but this year has been a lot warmer than usual so the leaves stayed green longer.

We also see much less activity from animals such as birds and squirrels. You can still find the occasional squirrel running around but that’s about it.

The sun sets much earlier now, meaning that my plants get less sunlight and I had to relocate them to ensure they don’t die. I will also start watering them significantly less than during the warm, sunny summer months.