Technologies

For our A-Life simulation, we are using a few key technologies that I am really enjoying so far.

The main technology we are using that is vital to our project is the Godot Game engine. Godot 4 is the latest version and offers a huge variety of useful tools and technologies that makes us able to focus on the actual simulation rather than writing a bunch of boilerplate code for things like graphics.

Godot allows us to write using GDScript or C#. We have been utilizing both as they also provide the ability to work in both on the same project. I have been writing in C# and I am really enjoying the ease of extending the engine and all of the nice features that come with it!

The only struggle that I have run into is dealing with the connection between the C# classes and the GDScript scripts. It took many hours of reading documentation, watching videos, and testing things to figure out how to actually get access to variables and functions in the C# files and classes.

The Godot editor works flawlessly with Visual Studio which allows me to edit in the editor and debug all from Visual Studio while still having access to the Godot editor for visual node tree edits.

Other than Godot, We have been using Github for version control and it has been an amazing help for us. It speeds everything up and makes working together on the project possible and painless!