Just the beginning…

This week development has finally begun. Woohoo! Embarking on a new project is really fun. I am excited to see it come together piece to piece. This weeks focus has been on creating the new location form.

I first started with building the UI. Since I am mostly using Material UI React components, building the UI was pretty smooth after completing the initial setup with my custom themes and colors. Deciding custom fonts and the colors was quite fun! However, trying to color match the company colors to the web was somewhat difficult. I finally managed to though, and I think the colors turned out great. Building out the UI was mostly a plug and play with the Material UI components in addition to configuring the style to correct sizes, orientation and layout. One of the great things of using a library like Material UI is it provides great mobility in terms of whether a user is viewing from a web browser or a mobile device. Overall, I am very happen with how the UI is turning out so far.

Right now, I am working to get the API configured and connected to the database and the UI connected to the API, so the form submission populates a location in the datastore. Additionally, I am currently wrestling with how to implement a realtime update to the ticket form’s location dropdown selection. The location form is embedded within the new ticket form. I made this decision because I believe it makes for a more seamless process when creating a ticket if a user is able to stay on the ticket form without having to be re-directed away from the form to create a new location. So after a user submits the new location form and is redirected back to the ticket form, the dropdown menu with the locations needs to be updated and in sync with the database to populate the new location. I believe I have an idea to a working solution, so I will try to implement and see if I can get it to work.

I will touch back in next week to describe how I solved this issue!